We’ve heard from a number of Coalition members who are interested in doing their own decarbonization work at home, but don’t know where to start! We feel you. It can be hard to find the products, the contractors, and the necessary information.
The good news is, that’s changing. The better news is, you can help speed up the change by increasing demand for all-electric buildings wherever you have influence—at home, at work, in a church or mosque, or in other community spaces.
Building decarbonization means removing the hazard of fossil fuel usage in buildings and facilitating access to carbon-free heating, water heating, and cooking. Sealing air leaks and going all electric are key strategies for doing that.
Here is our working list of resources to learn how to find electric appliances, contractors, financing, and more so that you can start making the switch yourself. Please reach out to us if you have any updates or suggestions about the resources listed here!
General and One-Stop Guides:
- Electrify Everything in Your Home — Rewiring America a printable guide by a national leader in electrification advocacy
- Electrify Everything! – YouTube Video Course by Nate “the House Whisperer” Adams
- A Pocket Guide to All-Electric Retrofits of Single-Family Homes by Redwood Energy (Somewhat California-specific, but with case studies and information from across the country)
- In depth webinar by the authors: Electrification Retrofits: Products, Costs & Avoiding Panel Upgrades – YouTube
- The Home Comfort Book from Nate “the House Whisperer” Adams ($50 print, $25 digital)
- Electrify Everything! A Practical Guide to Ditching Your Gas Meter | Greentech Media by Nate “the House Whisperer” Adams
- More of an article about how to think about electrifying your home as opposed to actually going about electrifying your home.
- A bit dated
Product Reviews and Guides:
- Carbon Switch: Research, guides, and reviews that help people live more sustainably.
Financing and Incentives:
- Database of State Incentives for Renewables & Efficiency (DSIRE)
- The Homeowners’ Guide to Energy Tax Credits and Rebates | Constellation
- Special Offers and Rebates from ENERGY STAR Partners | EPA ENERGY STAR
- Renewable Energy Tax Credits | ENERGY STAR
- Equipment Tax Credits for Primary Residences | ENERGY STAR
- Minnesota: Rebates and Promotions — Minnesota Air Source Heat Pump Collaborative (mnashp.org)
- HVAC 2.0 Provider Map
- No providers in your area? Use their contractor interview questions.
- ENERGY STAR Find a qualified Installation Professional for your ENERGY STAR product | EPA ENERGY STAR
- Minnesota Heat pump contractors: Preferred Contractor Network Homeowner Resources — Minnesota ASHP Collaborative (mnashp.org)
Next step: organize your community
- Ten Ways Your Community Can Go All-Electric | Environment America
- Join one of our Coalition working groups like Local Codes and Standards. Contact Marnese or Jacob to get involved.
Know a resource we missed? Please share updates or feedback with Eric.